If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, you need to do three things immediately.

  • Bring your pet to the emergency center immediately.
  • If possible, collect and bring the poisonous substance.
  • Bring any substance which your pet has vomited.

You can also call the Animal Poison Control number for information at:

  • 1-900-680-0000
  • 1-888-426-4435
  • Animal Poison Control Center Website: www.aspca.org

Poisonous Substances

Anti-freeze:

All forms of this substance are deadly poisonous to your pet, even the smallest amount. Unfortunately, animals are attracted to the taste of anti-freeze. It can cause massive kidney failure and requires immediate treatment at the clinic.

Foods:

Chocolate, onions, onion powder, alcohol, yeast dough, coffee, tea, macadamia nuts, salt, beer, tomato, potato and rhubarb leaves, avocados, and moldy food. At holiday times, please avoid feeding your pet foods that are too rich and too salty for its health. During the holidays watch carefully to ensure that pets do not ingest decorative foils or ornaments.

Household Chemicals:

Many household chemicals can cause serious gastric distress, and the following are lethal: mothballs, dishwashing detergent, and fabric softener sheets.

Human Medicines:

Pill boxes and tubes of medicine can seem like a toy to many animals – keep out of reach. Never use any over the counter medicines without your veterinarians advice. Ibuprofen/Tylenol: dogs and cats can not tolerate ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

Plants:

Toxicity in this category varies and the following can be fatal:

  • azalea
  • castor bean
  • cocoa mulch
  • daffodils
  • Easter lily
  • foxglove
  • ivy
  • Kentucky coffee bean pod
  • lily of the valley
  • mistletoe
  • oleander
  • poinsettia
  • sago palm
  • tobacco
  • yew

Most pets will not ingest them voluntarily. However, there are a variety of plants that can cause painful reactions just by contact.

Rat Poison: Ingestion of these toxic substances requires immediate treatment of your pet at the clinic through the use of charcoal. Please note that there are safer ways to deal with mice and rats. Call us for advice.